Information for farmers

When using any chemical in your home or farm, the simple rule is to always follow the safety and use directions on the label. Be aware – rules around the use of some chemicals can differ from state to state, so it’s always best to check the label and if in doubt, contact your state or territory regulator.

Chemicals used in agricultural and in veterinary medicine products need to be approved by the Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority (APVMA). Our role as a regulator is to make sure the chemicals you buy from your supplier for use on your farm are safe and effective for you, your crops and your animals.

Our role is not to provide advice on what may suit your needs or look into alternatives to managing pests and diseases. For this, you can talk with your supplier, agronomist or grower/producer association.

Finding products to use

If you need a particular chemical product you can look it up on our PubCRIS or Permits databases. You can search by product, active constituent, and manufacturer – as well as by the pests and diseases you are trying to control – and get a list of products where that term is mentioned on the label.

If you need a particular chemical product you can look it up on our PubCRIS or Permits databases

Farmers can also seek access to some chemicals via minor use permits to use registered chemicals in a way that differs from the approved use. If a number of other farmers have a similar need to yours that can’t be met by a registered product – or one available under a minor use permit – you may wish to talk with your grower or producer organisation or an industry research agency to apply for a permit on your behalf.

In some circumstances, farmers can also access unregistered chemicals for a specific purpose under a minor use permit.

Useful links

Was this page helpful?

Your feedback will be submitted to the APVMA anonymously. If you require a response, please contact us.